This is how we roll. Spring rolls, that is. (and baking and frying)

This is how we roll. Spring rolls, that is.  And bake them, and fry them.

For this recipe, be sure to get SPRING ROLL WRAPPERS. NOT EGG ROLL WRAPPERS. This is a spring roll recipe. You can find them at any asian market, or the ‘ethnic’ food section of your supermarket if possible. If all you can find are egg roll wrappers, they will still work, however, they will not look or taste the same. They will taste like fake chinese take-out food.

wrappers

A little biased, am I?  That’s because egg rolls are American. They are not authentic whatsoever, except in America. If you don’t know the difference, one way to tell is that spring rolls have a light, thin, smooth crispy texture that flakes when you bite into them. And egg rolls are thick, chewy, and have a bubbly surface from a wrapper that soaked up too much oil. They taste heavy.

Directions for rolling, frying and baking.

printable recipe

Serves 25.

Ingredients:

• Spring roll shells (25 per package)
  • Filling (see recipe)
  • 3 tbsp. flour + 3 tbsp water, paste consistency
  • Brush
  • sheet pan or large plate to set spring rolls on

station1

1) Cut sheet package open, and use the empty sided surface to assemble the rolls.

station2

2) Place a large scoopful of filling on the bottom corner of the sheet, as seen below.

station3

3) Roll the corner over the filling, like so.

station4

4) Continue rolling until you hit the next two corners.

station5

5) Fold the 2 corners in, forming an envelope shape. Brush paste all along the sides and top corner.

filling5

6) Continue rolling towards the top corner. Roll tightly so there are no exposed ends.

station6

Voila! That was easy, wasn’t it? Set aside on a sheet pan/plate, and repeat the process 24 more times.

Directions for deep frying:

Heat corn oil on medium high in a pot. Size of pot is determined by how many you will be frying. Pour enough oil so the spring rolls are able to float without touching the bottom of the pot. When oil is heated and ready, drop a few in at a time (4-6).  Spring rolls will only splatter if there are gaps or holes in it, so fry with caution.  Fry until golden, turning if necessary. Place on paper towels to soak up excess grease, cooling for at least 5 minutes. Serve.

Directions for baking:

Preheat oven at 425 degrees. Brush oil on both sides of rolls, place on baking pan. Bake for approximately 16 minutes, flipping halfway through. Serve.

springroll2

Look how pretty and golden they are. I ate 7 of them in one sitting. 7 salads with a crispy outer shell.  I will keep telling myself that.

Lastly, click here to see freezing and storage directions.

11 Thoughts on “This is how we roll. Spring rolls, that is. (and baking and frying)

1. Gabrielle on June 6, 2009 at 1:29 pm said:

Yum! You make it look so easy, and Spring Rolls are my favorite food, so I may actually be inspired to try this myself… soon.

2. admin on June 8, 2009 at 2:25 pm said:

Thank you Gabrielle. There are so many variations for spring rolls too, and I think making them yourself in any way beats store-bought or restaurant-made :)

3. debbie on February 2, 2010 at 1:07 am said:

yummy , but do i have to cook ingredients before I wrap?

4. These look VERY SIMILAR to Spring Rolls a co-worker USED to bring into work awhile ago… Hmmm.
    Very delicious! Might have to try making some sometime soon. ;- )

5. Bill – if I could send a package of spring rolls to you guys, I would. Except they probably would be gross by the time USPS delivered it :P

6. I’m going to make them sometime soon Candy, real soon, and I’ll let you know how they come out. Really like your blog, very funny… Nice job!!! Wish you were here!

7. nicole on February 2, 2012 at 1:53 am said:

why corn oil? ive used vegetable oil in the past and hated it. ive been scouring the internet for the best oils to use. which oil can you taste the least? i have a copycat recipe for double stuffed potato spring rolls from the grand lux cafe in chicago, il and cannot get the right taste due to oil problems. i need help desperately. thanks

8. Nicole – Corn oil is the most mild tasting oil for deep frying, so you can taste the spring roll itself. Vegetable oil makes everything fishy tasting and leaves a bad aftertaste when frying. I would recommend corn oil, or canola oil, I always use either of those and it tastes fine. Hope this helps.

9. DEBORAH DORSEY on May 21, 2012 at 11:54 am said: