I bought these for the pure novelty of them. It’s my theme of ‘let’s buy everything miniaturized!’ My theme only includes this one post. Plus, a couple of you have mentioned that the stuffing for my stuffed mushrooms would look good in zucchini, so here ya go.
8-Ball Zucchini (Stuffed)
- 2 8-ball zucchini, insides dug out and reserved
- 1 tomato
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese (reserve 1/4 cup cheese for topping)
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 4 strips bacon chopped
1) Cut the tops off the zucchini. Hollow out with a spoon. Reserve the zucchini guts in a bowl. Chop tomato and onion, add into same bowl.
2) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3) Chop bacon into small pieces, brown in skillet. Add zucchini guts, tomato and onion, cook for 4 minutes on medium high heat. Remove from heat and add bread crumbs, cheese (reserve some shredded cheese for topping), salt and pepper to taste. Spoon stuffing into zucchini. Top with remaining cheese.
4) Place zucchini in baking pan, preferably one with a lip. Pour a bit of water (about 1/4 inch deep) on the bottom of the pan to prevent burning. Bake for 40 minutes or until zucchini is softened.
That is a grapefruit spoon I used to dig out the guts. Hey, I had one on hand, so I used it.
After I browned the bacon in the skillet, I just dumped my veggies into it and used the bacon fat to cook with. If you have cholesterol problems, or just don’t want to use bacon fat, I recommend draining the bacon, and using olive oil to saute the veggies instead.
After cooking the bacon with veggies for about 4 minutes, remove from heat and pour in bread crumbs to soak in all the wonderful juices. Mix well.
Mix in the cheese quickly afterwards.
Spoon the mixture into the zucchini, top with cheese, and put in baking pan, preferably one with a lip as shown below.
Bake for 40 minutes until it comes out looking wonderful like this.
The zucchini was tender, and the stuffing was delicious. So go for it, zucchini fans!