Now, I absolutely would’ve loved to say that I made up this clever name for this sandwich all on my own, but I was about to name it the BLATS until my husband suggested, “Why don’t you name it the BLAST instead? As in, we’re having a B.L.A.S.T.!”
Anagrams are not my forte.
Plus, eating something named BLATS doesn’t sound very appealing.
It also wasn’t my plan to make a clever name. The ingredients just came together that way: a classic BLT with avocado and shrimp. BLTAS. Switch the letters around and we’ve just started a fantastic trend. Come on, let’s have a BLAST!
I’m done now.
But I would like to add that this sandwich is extraordinarily delicious. Made with a delightful combination of juicy lime chipotle marinated shrimp, crispy bacon, fresh lettuce, ripe tomatoes, creamy avocado, and lime infused mayo slathered on a toasted, chewy ciabatta roll. That’s quite a tasty mouthful!
And very easy to make.
BLAST (Bacon, lettuce, avocado, shrimp and tomato sandwich)
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 4 sandwich rolls of any kind (I used Ciabatta rolls)
- 16-20 shrimp, thawed and deveined
- 2 Tbsp. Saucy Mama Lime Chipotle marinade
- 6 slices of bacon, cut in half (12 small strips)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 large leaves of lettuce
Lime infused Mayo:
- 4 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1/4 lime, juiced
1) Marinate shrimp with 2 Tbsp. of Saucy Mama Lime Chipotle marinade. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
2) As shrimp are marinating in the fridge, slice and toast rolls. Cook bacon in skillet until crispy. Place on plate lined with paper towel to drain excess grease.
3) In a small bowl, squeeze lime juice into 4 tbsp. of mayo. Mix thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste.
4) In a skillet on medium high, cook shrimp until they turn opaque (approx. 2-3 minutes). Place cooked shrimp in bowl.
5) Slather mayo onto toasted rolls, assemble sandwiches with avocado slices, lettuce, 3 slices of bacon, 4-5 shrimp, and a slice of tomato. Serve and enjoy!
All the ingredients to make a fantastic sandwich!
I used Ciabatta rolls because they have just the right chewy/crispy combination. But you can also use the bread of your preference.
These are medium-sized shrimp, so I used about 4-5 per sandwich. If you have larger shrimp, you might use less per sandwich.
The secret sauce that gives the shrimp an extra kick! Lime chipotle gives whatever you’re marinating a slightly spicy but refreshing flavor.
A couple tablespoons of marinade into the shrimp should do the trick.
Stir it around and let it marinate in the fridge.
Cut the slices of bacon in half, then cook on the skillet until crispy.
Let the excess fat from the bacon drain off on paper towels.
Slice rolls in half and toast to your liking.
With a few squeezes of lime juice, along with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, you’ve just added some extra depth to your mayo!
Using a sharp knife, slice vertically around the length of the avocado. Pull apart gently. Squeeze and peel skin off the fruit.
Slice thinly as shown above.
In a skillet on medium high heat, cook shrimp until opaque (approx. 2-3 minutes). Set aside in a bowl.
Doesn’t this look mouth-watering already?
Slather mayo onto toasted rolls.
Start assembling your sandwiches!
Voilà! Gorgeous, aren’t they?
To make sure you really understand how gorgeous they are, here are some more snapshots:
I hope you enjoy this as much as we did! They were sooo good that I ate two of them! 🙂