There’s not much to describe as I already did so in the title.
One surprising fact is, when making the sausage bread, I had used 4 links of sausage and 8 oz. of mozzarella. For this pizza, I used 1 link of sausage and 4-5 oz. of mozzarella. So in that regard, pizza is healthier.
Pizza week is getting more difficult now. A part of me is saying, I wish I can just eat something different. Another part of me is saying, I wonder if I can eat that 5th slice.
On Day 1, the two of us finished that pepperoni pizza in about 5 minutes, crusts and all. On Day 2, we finished that veggie pizza, but had to force ourselves to. On Day 3, we ate 2.5 slices of that brick called Sausage Bread, and half the loaf was sitting in the fridge. On Day 4, we had leftover pizza as well.
Stay tuned. Day 5 will be barbecued chicken pizza on a wheat crust.
Pizza with sausage, mushrooms, olives and tomatoes
- • 1 package store bought pizza dough
- • tomato sauce (1/3 to 1/2 jar)
- • 1 tsp. sugar
- • 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- • 5-6 slices of tomato, sliced thinly
- • 1 sausage links, casing removed, sausage cooked and crumbled
- • handful of sliced mushrooms
- • 2-3 oz. olives, sliced
- • shredded mozzarella cheese (approx. 4-5 oz.)
- • olive oil
- • salt
- • pepper
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- Step 2 Grease a baking sheet with olive oil. Pick up a ball of dough, and stretch and pull until it’s thinned out enough, and plop it onto the baking sheet. Using your fingers and palms, gently knead the dough from the center out. Be patient – the longer you work the dough, the more it’ll stretch and stay that way. Doing it too fast just causes the dough to rip apart or refuse to stretch out and stick.
- Step 3 Spread tomato sauce on the dough. Sprinkle a few caraway seeds, Italian seasoning, and a teaspoon of sugar over the sauce.
- Step 4 Add tomatoes, mushrooms, sausage, olives. The tomatoes will release a lot of water in the oven, and might make everything a little soggy if not cut VERY thin.
- Step 5 Drizzle olive oil over top of crust and toppings to help it brown in the oven.
- Step 6 Bake for approx. 17-20 minutes. During the last 5 minutes, sprinkle generously with cheese, and place back into oven until finished.