Fujian fried rice is similar to regular fried rice except it is served with a heaping dose of rich gravy on top. To me, this is the ultimate comfort food. The fried rice can come with a variety of ingredients, such as chicken, shrimp, scallops, Chinese sausage, Chinese broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, eggs etc. In mine, I used Chinese sausages, shrimp, eggs and green onion. It is whatever you have on stock in your fridge. Remember, fried rice is usually made what leftovers from last night’s dinner that you want to use before it goes bad. Leftover chicken can be diced and used rather than the sausage. Just remember to dice up all your ingredients to equal bite-sized pieces, and when substituting my ingredients for yours, use roughly the same proportions.
I have no excuse for the lack of recipes on my blog lately. Aside from the fact that we’ve been entertaining guests from across the country, and I haven’t been around to cook much. I’ll try to get back on track, promise.
Fujian Fried Rice – 4-6 servings
Fried Rice Ingredients:
- 3 cups cooked rice
- vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- pinch of pepper (preferably white pepper)
- 12 medium uncooked shrimp, shelled, deveined and diced
- 1 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup diced green onions
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 Chinese sausages, diced (substitute 4 oz. of cooked chicken if preferred)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp. oyster sauce
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. sesame oil
* If extra gravy is desired, double the ingredients.
1) Cook rice beforehand, let cool.
2) In a small bowl, toss shrimp with 1 tsp. cornstarch. Set aside.
3) In a separate bowl, combine gravy ingredients. Set aside.
4) To cook the fried rice, pour 2 Tbsp vegetable oil in a wok over medium heat. Pour beaten eggs into the wok and cook until eggs are scrambled. Add rice, salt, sugar and pepper, stirring constantly. Transfer rice into large plate or bowl and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
5) Heat the wok on high heat, add 1 Tbsp oil. Add the shrimp and cook until it becomes pink (about 1 minute). Add the Chinese sausage and green onions, stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
6) Add gravy ingredients into the wok and stir until the sauce boils and is thick enough to coat a spoon. Pour gravy onto the fried rice and serve.