I wanted a change from the usual Japanese pickled cucumbers I normally make, and found a recipe for Chinese pickled cucumbers on this site. I didn’t have the chili oil their recipe called for so I used a couple pinches of red chili flakes. You can omit the flakes or chili oil entirely if you want it mild, or serving it to your kids.
This recipe only requires a handful of ingredients and takes 5 minutes to make. No need to wait for the brine to soak into the pickles. It is the quickest side dish you can make aside from opening an actual jar of pickles.
Spicy Chinese Pickled Cucumbers
- 1 English cucumber
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon black vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- salt (to taste)
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional, adjust to your taste)
- Step 1 Peel the cucumber if you wish. I peel half of it so it is easier to eat, but you can leave it on if you like the texture. Smash the cucumber a little bit with the flat side of a large knife or cleaver, to release some of the juices. Slice into pieces and put in bowl. Combine with the rest of the ingredients, serve immediately.