Excuse the lack of step by step photos, and the bad quality of this one photo. Throughout cooking this I endured endless screaming and whining from kids that demanded my attention only when I am busy doing something other than coddling them, and as I type this I fight off a baby trying to smack the keyboard. I haven’t had my coffee yet so you get a glimpse of my sparkling personality this morning. I’ll make this short.
(adapted by The Pioneer Woman)
- 6 slices Thin Bacon, Cut Into 1-inch Pieces
- 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
- 3 whole Carrots, Scrubbed Clean And Diced
- 3 large Russet Potatoes, Peeled And Diced
- 8 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 3 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt, More To Taste
- Black Pepper To Taste
- green onions or chives, for garnish
- 1 cup Grated Cheese Of Your Choice
- In a large pot, cook bacon until brown and crispy. Take bacon out and set aside for topping soup later. Spoon out bacon grease but leave a healthy layer on the pot for sautéing veggies.
- Cook onion and carrots for a couple minutes on medium high heat; add potatoes. Stir and cook for 5 more minutes, add broth, salt, and pepper. Raise heat to high and boil for 10 minutes.
- Whisk flour and milk together in a bowl or measuring cup. Pour into pot. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove half the potatoes and carrots and blend until smooth with a blender or hand blender. Pour back into pot and mix.
- Serve garnished with bacon, green onions and cheese.
So, beer tastes good. And cheese tastes good. So the most logical thing would be to put them together, right? And then top it with some bacon just for kicks.
I can’t recommend which beer to use for the soup. It’s one of those recipes where you use what you have in your fridge. Our first beer cheese soup we used a homemade lager, but it was a little on the bitter side. The second time we used a homemade IPA, and it tasted better, smoother without the bitterness. Of course, since they were all homemade beers I can’t tell you which brand to use. So experiment and have fun!
Beer Cheese Soup (serves 4)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bottle beer
- 1 can chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch + 3 Tbsp. water
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- chopped bacon, for topping (optional)*
*Vegetarians can use bacon bits or your choice of herbs for toppings.
- In a large pot, melt butter on medium high heat. Sauté onion and garlic until caramelized. Add Worcestershire sauce. Add beer, boil for 3 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil, then let simmer on low for 5 minutes. Add cornstarch mixture and stir into soup until thickened. Add milk and cheese, and stir until cheese is completely melted. Salt to taste. Serve warm with chopped bacon for topping.
Directions with Photos:
In a large pot, melt butter on medium high heat. Sauté onion and garlic until caramelized.
Add Worcestershire sauce.
Add beer, boil for 3 minutes.
Add chicken broth and bring to a boil, then let simmer on low for 5 minutes.
Add cornstarch mixture and stir into soup until thickened.
Add milk and cheese, and stir until cheese is completely melted.
Salt to taste. Serve warm with chopped bacon for topping.